About Upton Castle & Gardens
Upton Castle is a small castle the earliest remaining part of which is believed to date from the 12th/ 13th century.
Three of the original towers survive and there is evidence of a drawbridge and port cullies entrance while one wing contains the remnants of what was probably the great hall.
The inhabited part of the castle mainly dates from the 17th and18th century with later additions of two further towers in the 19th century. Nearby the small medieval chapel also thought to date from the 13th century contains several early effigies. In the grounds of the chapel is a stone preaching cross listed by CADW as a historic monument.
Mr Stanley Neal bought Upton Castle in the 1920s and was responsible for the laying out of the formal gardens and terraces and the planting of the Arboretum. It is thanks to him that we have the mature gardens that we see today.
At Upton there are several gardens within a garden which in all extends to about 35 acres.
The formal rose garden
The Herbaceous Border
The Chapel garden
The private gardens
The Walled garden
All of the gardens are surrounded by the ARBOTETUM, a collection of rare trees mostly planted in the 1920's and 30 and include mature specimens of: Drimys winteri; Parrotia persica; Ginkgo bilobia; Fagus heterophylla; Cunninghamia Taxodiaceae; Davidia involucrate amongst many others.
The arboretum is further surrounded by broad leaved woodland leading down to tidal Cleddau estuary
Open from December to December.
10am to 4.30pm
- Groups welcome
- Parking (free)