Ynglŷn â St Mary's Church, Fishguard
This church replaced an old one in 1857. It has a great collection of stained glass windows including two modern ones by John Petts. The first recorded vicar of Fishguard was John Mabus in 1403. The balcony was added to accommodate visiting fishermen. The churchyard is no closed with burials taking place in a new burial ground a mile out of town on the B4313. The stone marking Jemima Nicholas, a heroine of the 1797 failed French invasion, is on the exterior south side is a memorial stone. Unusually for an Anglican church there is a baptistery pool under the floor in front of the rood screen.
Open all year.
WELSH:: Price Info:
Normally daily from 10.00-4.00. Donations only. Not open for visitors currently because of covid-19 restrictions.
There are two steps up into the church’s West Door. A ramp for wheel chairs is available on request.
St Mary’s Church is in the centre of Fishguard, opposite the Town Hall. Nearest car park is Parc y Shwt.