Board Director Vacancies
Visit Pembrokeshire Board Director Vacancies
Visit Pembrokeshire is a destination management organisation and the first organisation of its kind in Wales and leads the tourism sector in Pembrokeshire
Currently, the Visit Pembrokeshire Board has two vacancies and is looking to appoint directors from Pembrokeshire’s tourism economy who will contribute to raising the profile of the county, its tourism offering and help to deliver Visit Pembrokeshire’s strategic plans.
We are particularly interested in new Board Directors with experience in any of the following areas:
- Membership growth.
- Human resources.
- Business finance, legal and commercialisation.
Board Directors representing the private tourism sector will need to be members of Visit Pembrokeshire and must be proactive, have passion commitment and drive, and contribute to promoting Pembrokeshire effectively and to fostering partnership working across all our partners, public, private and voluntary sectors.
Title: Board Director
Reporting to: Chair of the Board
Board Directors role
To actively and passionately participate within the team of Board Directors adhering to and acting in accordance with the company’s constitution and rules of governance as well as fulfilling the responsibilities in working towards the agreed strategic direction and objectives of the company by providing knowledge, advice and guidance from within your area of expertise.
Board Director qualities
- Commitment to Pembrokeshire’s tourism development and promotion
- Integrity and diplomacy with the capacity to provide independent judgment
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as a Board Director
- Ability to make decisions for the good of the whole tourism sector in Pembrokeshire
- Possession of good networking and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Understanding of the legal responsibilities and liabilities of a Board Director
Experience & skills
- Tourism sector knowledge – either directly or indirectly
- Experience in membership growth, HR, PR & events, finance, legal or commercialising organisations
- A reputation for integrity and credibility
- Ability to speak Welsh (desirable, but not essential)
- Owner/partner/CEO of organisation within Pembrokeshire’s economy (desirable)
- The Board Director must accept and support a culture of openness and debate
- Member of Visit Pembrokeshire (if you are not already this will need to be completed if you are successful in your application)
Main tasks and duties
- To be creative and motivational on the Board – always seeking to improve and drive activity forward
- To prepare for and participate in the discussions and the deliberations of the Board
- To contribute to setting the board meeting agenda
- To understand and follow the board’s governance and board policies
- To proactively support Visit Pembrokeshire in implementing the strategic action plan of the company
- To foster and encourage the best possible working relationships between the Board, staff and relevant stakeholders
- To make sure that decisions taken by the Board are implemented and to play your part in delivering the operational responsibilities of the board
- To promote Visit Pembrokeshire membership and Visit Pembrokeshire in general
- To ensure willingness and time commitment to attend meetings and serve on at least one working group:
- 6 board meetings (of which attendance at 4 is a minimum requirement)
- working-group meetings – occasional as and when required
- annual AGM & some additional networking events
- To participate in annual Board Director training
- Be aware of and abstain from any conflicts of interest
- To ensure that the Board puts in place and maintains an efficient system of financial accounting
- Participate at Visit Pembrokeshire events when and where possible
- To act as a spokesperson for the Board as appropriate
The post of Board Director is an unpaid one but any reasonable travel expenses incurred for taking part in Visit Pembrokeshire activities (excluding board meetings) or attending events on behalf of Visit Pembrokeshire can be reimbursed (when pre-approved by the chair).
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by a panel, either in person or virtually, as the situation allows. The final deadline for applications is 15th of December 2021. The posts will become available from January 2022.