About Picton Castle & Woodland Gardens
Built in the 13th Century and set in 40 acres of magnificent woodland and walled gardens, Picton Castle is a grand day out. Entrance to castle by guided tour. Look out for special events, including Family Fun Days, Outdoor Theatre, Garden Tours and Music Evenings.
- Until the late 11th century south-west Wales formed part of a Welsh kingdom named Deheubarth, which was ruled by Rhys ap Tewdwr.
- About Easter 1093 he was killed in battle near Brecon by Normans, who then undertook a general invasion of South Wales.
- in 1108 Henry I attempted to bolster up his position by settling Flemings in the area around Picton. It must have been about this time that the first castle was built.
- By the end of the 13th century Picton was in the hands of the Wogans, barons of Wiston.
- The current castle was built between 1295 and 1308 by Sir John Wogan.
- The Wogan line of Picton ended in an heiress who married Owain Dwnn, and the Dwnns in turn ended in an heiress, Jane, who in the late 15th century married Sir Thomas Philipps of Cilsant, esquire to the body of Henry VII.
- The Philippses have held Picton Castle since then.
- Big traceried windows replaced smaller ones in the hall about 1400.
- In 1697 Sir John Philipps made extensive alterations, as did Sir John Philipps between 1749 and 1752, when he remodelled the interior of the castle.
- Throughout the 17th and 18th centuries the Philippses of Picton Castle were the most powerful family in Pembrokeshire and their country seat reflects their status.
- The castle has no internal courtyard, and originally the main block was protected by seven projecting circular towers: the two at the east end were linked to form a gatehouse, and the entrance originally led straight through a portcullis into the undercroft of the hall.
- 40 acres of woodland gardens including a maze.
- Walled courtyard with gallery and restaurant
- Collections of rhododendrons and azaleas, mature trees, unusual shrubs and wild flowers
- A fern walk, fernery, restored dew pond, a herb collection labelled with medicinal remedies and a children's nature trail.
Toilets, shop, art gallery, restaurant. Ample car/coach parking.
Daily except Mondays from April to September. 10.30 am to 5.00 pm.
Entrance to Castle by guided tours only. Tours run between 12.00 noon and 4.00 pm
Open from December to December.