About Picton Castle Gardens
Set within the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, Picton Castle Gardens is a 13th century castle, surrounded by 60 acres of RHS partner gardens. The castle itself is of unique design; with four symmetrically spaced half round towers and gatehouse entrance flanked by two narrower towers, it is based upon patterns of Irish castles of the period and is the only one of this type in the mainland UK. As soon as one enters inside it is revealed not to have an inner courtyard and keep but rather a series of finely planned rooms typical of the grand country house that it is. There is no other building quite like it in Britain.
A tour of the house begins at the grand entrance, and takes in the library, great hall, dining room and drawing rooms, before heading downstairs to the castle’s medieval undercroft. Picton’s friendly tour guides are on hand to answer any questions, and make the experience memorable.
No visit to Picton is complete without a wander around the beautiful historic gardens, which includes a recently restored walled garden, fernery, jungle garden and maze.
Picton is also home to The Welsh Owl Garden and Zoo, which houses many species of birds of prey, and has recently expanded to include other animals such as its famous otters. During the summer months there are daily flying displays on the castle’s north lawn, definitely not to be missed!
Open all year.
Daily except Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Eve.
April to October- 10 am to 5.00 pm. Castle Tours at 11.30am, 12.30pm, 2.30pm and 3.30pm
November to March- 10am to 4pm. Castle Tours at 12pm and 1pm.
Entrance to Castle by guided tours only.
April to October
Seniors (over 65) £11
Children (5-15) £7
Families (2 adults and 2 children) £34
November to March
Admission to the gardens is half price
Families (2 adults and 4 children) £85
All admission fees include access to The Welsh Owl Garden and Zoo
Access to the castle is by guided tour only, and is an extra charge:
- Baby Changing
- Bottle Warming
- Childrens meals
- Disabled Access
- Disabled Toilet
- Groups welcome
- Open All Year
- Parking (free)
- Pembrokeshire Produce
- VAQAS - Visit Wales - Visitor Attraction Quality Assurance Scheme
- Wet Weather attraction
- There are 3 wheelchairs on site, which are available free of charge. Please inquire at the Ticket Office upon arrival.
- There are two disabled toilets on site – located in the toilet block near the Courtyard entrance, and the toilet block near the walled garden.
- The grounds are approximately 80% accessible to wheelchair users.
- Castle tours are fully accessible to wheelchair users and less able visitors. Please inform the ticket office when purchasing your ticket.
- Our Gift Shop, Galleries and Restaurant are all accessible
- Disabled parking is available in the main car park