The charming village of Angle lies in a sheltered valley located between East Angle Bay on the Milford Haven Waterway and the sandy West Angle Bay at the entrance to the Waterway. Angle was designated as a conservation area by the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park in 1995.
Angle is on the route of the Coastal Cruiser, service number 387 and links the Castlemartin peninsula villages to Pembroke, which also have a railway station.
What's in Angle?
East Angle Bay is very popular with birdwatchers and boat owners and the village is on the Pembrokeshire Coast Path. West Angle Bay is popular for rockpooling and kayaking. A short Coast Path circuit involves a start at West Angle Bay, proceeding north on the coast path along the shores of the Milford Haven Estuary past Thorne Island, Chapel Bay fort, the lifeboat station and The Point House before returning through the village.
Food and Drink
Fishermen have beaten a path to the Old Point House Inn for centuries. Part built with ship's timbers the inn lies so close to the sea that they can be cut off at Spring tide. Another pub, The Hibernian Inn, can be found on the road through the village as too is the small village shop. The Wavecrest cafe at West Angle beach is open for lunches, cakes and has a take away service perfect for the beach.
There are plenty of small campsites and caravan sites nearby. There are some quality B&Bs in the vicinity and hotels in nearby Pembroke. Self catering cottages can be found across the Castlemartin peninsula, including some of the cottages in Angle itself.
The History of Angle
The two major occupations in Angle have been agriculture and fishing. Angle has a long and proud seafaring tradition and its lifeboat station is evidence of this. Other occupations such as milling by wind power have taken place since at least 1298. A windmill, recorded in the late Tudor period, was re-built in the 18th century and modified for use during the second world war as a pill box!
Many medieval buildings survive in the village and it has a fine medieval fortified residence in the Tower House. The remains of the Angle Brick Works, established in the 1880’s, can be seen in the form of the brickworks chimney in West Angle.