A large village that became established with the coming of the railway in the 1850s. The village lies on the A478 almost half way between Tenby and Cardigan, making it a great place for exploring both north and south coasts of Pembrokeshire.
Clunderwen has a railway station and is well connect to Narberth and Cardigan via bus service 430
What's in Clunderwen?
Llys Y Fran Country Park and Llawhaden Castle are nearby, as are The Preseli Mountains.
Food and Drink
Clunderwen has 2 pubs, The Iron Duke and The Angel Inn as well as a well stocked village shop
There are a few small camp sites and caravan sites nearby. There are also one or two good B&Bs and hotels in the vicinity and in nearby Narberth. There are quite a number of good self catering cottages in surrounding villages, including some cottages in Clunderwen itself.
The History of Clunderwen
Before the railway arrives in 1851 there were no houses in the now centre of Clunderwen however by 1861 the village, known as Narberth Road, grew around the station. The railway continued to play a large role in the village’s life. Slate form local quarries livestock and food stuffs were also shipped from the station.
In 1913 Howard and Herbert James built and flew one of the first aeroplanes in Wales on 25th September. The plane only reached about 60 feet off the ground and then flipped over.
However, they rebuilt it and on 22nd November 1913, they were more successful, but the plane crashed into the hedge on landing.
On 20th April 1914, they made their first successful flight over Narberth and Carmarthen, in their Caudron type bi-plane. When they reached Carmarthen they lost their map and had to follow the railway line back to Clunderwen!
The brothers planned to establish an aeroplane factory at Narberth, but unfortunately the 1st World War broke out and they never achieved their ambition.